You couldn’t avoid using your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) even if you tried. Since they connect your jaw to the rest of your skull, you use them every time you open your mouth. That’s why TMJ dysfunction causes so much discomfort. Fortunately, we can relieve your pain with TMJ treatment in Irvine.Chronic Jaw Pain Read Transcript
Chronic jaw pain comes in several flavors and TMJ is kind of a catch phrase. And what it refers to is how the upper and lower jaw fit together. There's a joint there, and like other joints in your body, imagine twisting your ankle. Well, if you twist your ankle, you're not going to run on it, you're going to stay off and let it heal. Well, the problem is the jaw joint we use every day. We've got eat, we've got to talk, but there are ways we can support the jaw joint. And like wrapping a twisted ankle to restrict motion, the jaw guard, or the night guard are made to support the lower jaw so it can heal.
I also tell patients like the foot that you twisted the ankle, you're not going to run on it. I jokingly call it the three Bs. You stay off the three Bs till it gets better. Many times these things will heal themselves. And people say, “What the heck is that?” I say, “Well, Big Macs, opening big,” and they said, “Well, what about Whoppers?” I go, “No, you're not getting it. I don't want you opening big for awhile.” Biting hard, or bagels, or bubblegum, repetitive motion stuff. Again, treat it like a joint, just like that twisted ankle. Stay off it, let it heal, and let's see where we go from there. If we need to wrap it, the equivalent of that would be a night guard, or a snore guard, or some sort of support for that jaw. And many times these heal themselves.
We've earned a reputation. We've done about 800, 900 of these. I have other dentists send these cases to us, and if you catch them in the early phases before that joint becomes damaged and arthritic, many times these can be resolved pretty simply.
Our treatment will:
- Restore your full oral functionality by allowing you to eat without pain
- Prevent you from grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw, two habits often found in those with a TMJ disorder
- Relieve pressure on your jaw to give your TMJ a chance to heal
- Stop jaw pain from spreading to your neck, shoulders, and other areas of your body
- Help you get a more comfortable night’s rest
- Minimize symptoms like headaches and earaches
If you’re experiencing jaw pain or other symptoms of a TMJ disorder, call us today at 949-304-2897.
Stop Teeth Grinding & Ease TMJ Pain With a Custom Mouthguard
Dr. Charles Tozzer will look for evidence of a teeth grinding habit during every dental exam. In addition to being a contributing factor to TMJ problems, grinding damages the enamel on your teeth. This makes you more susceptible to cavities and can even require restorative dentistry. Many people don’t even realize they are grinding or clenching, as they do it in their sleep.
Using impressions of your teeth for a perfect fit, Dr. Tozzer can have a custom mouthguard created for you that will:
- Keep You From Grinding and Clenching – Eliminating these damaging behaviors goes a long way toward relieving jaw pain.
- Relieve Stress on Your Jaw – Relieving stress on your jaw gives your inflamed TMJ an opportunity to heal.
See Us for Help If You Experience TMJ Symptoms
Chronic jaw pain is the dominant symptom of a TMJ disorder, but it’s not the only one. You may also experience:
- Facial swelling, particularly near the jaw
- Unexplained earaches or ringing in the ears
- Daily headaches
- Difficulty opening or closing your mouth
- Stiffness in your jaw
For TMJ treatment in Irvine, call Tozzer Dental at 949-304-2897.