Sleepless nights are hard on you – but they’re not easy for your loved ones either if they’re kept awake by your snoring. Not only that, but a lack of rest may also make you short-tempered. Snoring and irritability are two symptoms of sleep apnea. In Irvine, we can improve your quality of rest and your family relations with a custom-made snore guard.
A snore guard will:
- Fit comfortably in your mouth without obstructing your face like a CPAP machine
- Keep your airway open so you don’t gasp for air throughout the night
- Prevent you from suffering from daytime fatigue
- Help you stay more alert and focused when awake
- Lower your risk of health conditions associated with sleep apnea, like high blood pressure and diabetes
A Snore Appliance Is a Less Invasive CPAP Alternative
Obstructive sleep apnea occurs when your tongue or other tissue in your throat blocks your airway while you sleep. A blocked airway causes you to briefly awaken many times a night while trying to breathe. Two commonly prescribed treatments to keep your airway clear are:
- A CPAP Machine – This machine produces a steady stream of pressurized air, which you typically breathe in through a mask worn over your nose.
- A Snore Guard – A snore guard resembles an athletic mouthguard. It gently moves your jaw into a position that keeps your airway open. It keeps you from snoring whether or not you have sleep apnea. Since it is custom made, it will fit you perfectly and be comfortable to wear. Unlike a CPAP, it doesn’t require batteries or electricity. It’s also easier to transport than a CPAP.
A logical first step in sleep apnea treatment is a sleep study. This is usually ordered by your physician. With an official diagnosis, it’s possible that insurance will pay for some or all of your treatment.
Sleep apnea symptoms include chronic loud snoring, daytime fatigue, difficulty focusing on tasks, and irritability. If you suspect you may have sleep apnea in Irvine or surrounding areas, call Tozzer Dental at 949-304-2897. Dr. Charles Tozzer can advise you on your next steps.